Expressive Arts and Design
Expressive arts and design focuses on two key areas:
- Exploring and using media and materials
- Being imaginative
On this page you can see the activities we have been getting up to in school that help us develop our skills in this area.
Chinese Takeaway Role Play
This week we have been learning about China and the Chinese New Year celebrations. In our role play area we had a Chinese takeaway. The children cooked Chinese food for each other, placed it into boxes and sold it to each other. They also tried to eat the food with chopsticks and write down what they wanted to order.
Chat Book Task
For one chat book task the children were asked to create a rocket at home they could build one with box modeling materials, draw a picture or paint. All the rockets brought in were fantastic! we have them displayed outside the classroom for others to see.
Space Station Role Play
All the children have enjoyed playing in our Space Station. They have used the laptops and keyboards to program the space station. They have been deciding which planet they would like to visit, but they keep melting when they get near the sun or freezing near Neptune.
Over Christmas we have been very busy in Santas Workshop and we have been creating lots of different things for Christmas.
- Rudolf Christmas Cards that we created from our footprints and wrote inside.
- Christmas Dinner place mats that we used for our School Christmas Dinner.
- Dried orange decorations that we sliced, dried and decirated with cloves.
- Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer hats that we wore for our performances of our class song.
In our continuous provision the children have been:
- creating Christmas trees from crates
- wrapping presents in Santas Workshop
- writing cards independently to each other
- practicing for our Nativity show on a stage they made from crates
- acting out Christmas Day by getting Santa to dress up and deliver presents to sleeping children.
- Act out the Nativity story in our stable
Whilst celebrating Bonfire Night we used paint to create pictures of fireworks exploding in the nights sky.
We enjoy using lots of different small world items to create castles, towns, houses and Forest Schools.
New Outside Kitchen
During the Autumn Term we set up a new outside kitchen. We have enjoyed using lots of different materials in the kitchen from mud, real vegetables and sand.